Saturday, August 8, 2009

Sunny Day Stair Step Fold



Melyssa {from Whimsie Doodles} is UBER talented (and extremely modest), and if you have a few minutes to browse SCS, you should definitely check out her gallery {croppixie}. It is absolutely unbelieveable. Anyway, ever since the day I saw this absolutely incredible {Pirate Card} in Melyssa's gallery several months ago, I have been itching to try making a card using the Stair Step Fold. All this week on the SCS homepage they have been promoting a tutorial on this very fold (was it meant to be or what?), and I decided last night (okay I made this tonight and I am typing tonight, but it is too dark to take a picture TOnight...did you get all that?) I would try it out. Here is a link to the SCS tutorial. The fold itself it s VERY simple, and I encourage you all to try it! I used this fold with today's inspiration challenge on SCS. Here is a link to my inspiration piece. I was inspired by the way the objects on the vase visually float because of the clear background.

My scene features the Sunny Day digistamp set from Whimsie Doodles. Everything, with the exception of the blue cardstock base, started out white. I did lots of coloring with my Copics! In fact, all of the images except the clouds are colored/cut out twice and popped with, you guessed it, dimensionals. That is one craft supply I use on nearly every project I make! I wanted to make the images in the back two tiers appear to be floating, so used strips of clear acetate and attached them to the images and then to the card base. One neat thing I did on the hot air balloon was replace the printed ropes with black string-- that idea came from fellow DT member Kelli! I also added Shimmerz to the Sun and Dazzling Diamonds glitter to the cupcake balloon. I darkened the color of the felt ribbon with a Copic marker.

I was very happy with the result. So much so that I woke my husband up from a deep sleep to show him my card when I was done! I think he'll be way more impressed with my card in the morning when he can look at it with two eyes open instead of just one really squinted one-LOL!
Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear from you:)

Ingredients: Stamps: Whimsie Doodles {Sunny Day}; Cardstock: Stampin' Up! {Whisper White}, DCWV {textured stack-blue}; Accessories: Copics, Shimmerz {Sunny}, black string, white gel pen, acetate, SU! {Dazzling Diamonds glitter, Dimensionals}, K& Company {Felt Ribbon}.

10 comments:

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Your card is just darling - LOVE IT!! I saw it on SCS and decided to hop over for more pics. It is so cute - I can only imagine how long it took for all that cutting, but it was worth it!

StampinCathy said...

This is one fun and awesome card. Thanks for this inspiring MOJO!

Stampinsilvia said...

ohhh this is awesome!!! I lvoe it...and now I see how you got your stuff to stick up! YOu used a window sheet...sneaky little think you!!! I love it! Super gorgeous!!!

Judith said...

This is so cool x

Anonymous said...

oh wow! you can really see the detail here!
Didn't realize you'd used acetate!
C-U-T-E!!! Love it!!!
Pam Going Postal

Thanh Vo said...

This card is amazing Nikki! I love the way all the different elements are on the layers so it really makes it 3d and stand out. I liked the Dr. Suess version as well ;)

Unknown said...

think this is a great card very eye catching

Love Dawn xx

Kelly Ellis (kraftykelly) said...

I saw your post on SCS and had to find out if you coloured the images or if you had used DP with those beautiful sharp colours. WOW. I better start saving for COPICs. Great job. I love your card.

Kelli said...

So beautiful!

C said...

Fabulous card!!